Para Instrucciones en Español, Haga Clic Aquí

International students who have a pilot license issued in another country can validate that license in the United States for the purpose of acquiring additional ratings or other pilot certificates. The certification process is fairly straightforward and involves the following steps:
Download, fill out, and print the license certification application (CLICK HERE FOR FORM)

Note that on Block 11 of the form, you will be asked for the local FSDO. Enter the following information:
2895 SW 145 Ave
Miramar, FL 33027

If your pilot certificate is not in English, you will need a translated certificate stating your pilot privileges. This certificate can be created by any certified agency in your host country, or, if you are in Miami, you can use one of the two recommended agencies listed below. Their fee for this service is approximately US $40.00.
Cesar Gamboa
9540 SW 137 AVE
Miami, Fl 33186

If you plan on flying in the United States (training, rental, etc.) you must also obtain a US Airman Medical Certificate You can do this when you arrive to Miami.
Once you have the translated certificate (if needed), Airman Medical Certificate, and application form, get a copy of your pilot license and fax everything the following to (405) 954 – 9922

  1. Your Pilot Certificate
  2. Translated Certificate (If Required)
  3. Current Medical (FAA or from your country)
  4. Application (Note: Please make sure the application is legible before you fax it)

The FAA will take about 4 to 6 weeks to process your application. When the application is approved, you will get a letter stating that your paperwork has cleared.
You must then contact ADF Airways. We will schedule an appointment for you with the FAA examiner to get your temporary airman certificate based on a foreign license. Please note that an examiner’s fee will be charged the day of your license conversion appointment.

While exercising the privileges of your US pilot certificate based on a foreign license, you must have your original license in your possession. In addition, any limitations placed on your foreign license will apply to the US issued license as well. Also, please note that the only certificates issued based on a foreign license will be at the Private Pilot level, regardless of your current certification in your home country. The Private Pilot Certificate will carry single or multi-engine privileges depending on your current ratings (as per CFR 14 Part 61 section 61-75).

Please note that this letter will be valid for a period of 6 months after issue date. Adding an instrument rating will still require you to have the letter. However, once you get a Commercial Pilot US or ATP US certificate, you will no longer need the letter.

Additional ratings to your US certificate will be based on the foreign certificate. If you get another certificate in the US, the US certificate will stand on its own

What do I do if I need to contact Oklahoma City?
If you sent your paperwork in and have not received a clearance letter, you can contact Oklahoma City by calling the Airmen Certification Branch at 1 (405) 954 – 4165 or FAX at 1 (866) 878 – 2498

If you have any problems with this process or need more information, please call or e-mail us.

Start typing and press Enter to search

× Available from 08:00 to 18:00