Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Part 61 and Part 141? Which should I choose?


Part 141 and Part 61 are two alternate training approaches; both are designed to give the student the necessary training to be a safe and effective pilot.

The biggest difference between a part 141 and a part 61 school is the structure of the training program. A part 141 program has specific standards that the FAA dictates must be met in order to successfully attain a certificate. This structured approach normally results in more efficient and standardized training. What does this mean to you as a student? A Part 141-certified school needs to meet the highest standards set by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Everything – including facilities, curriculum, ground school, aircraft, and instructors – needs to meet an approved level of excellence. By choosing 141, a student has to take a certain number of ground school hours, train at a Part 141-approved facility, and their instructor is monitored by the school’s chief instructor. The benefit of 141 is that it is a highly structured training experience with a set curriculum and requirements. The higher standards result in a reduction of the required flight time to obtain a certificate –usually about 5 to 10 hours less.

Part 61 programs have to adhere to the more general requirements for obtaining a certificate or rating. As such, it is up to the individual instructor to assure the applicant meets the standard. Since instructors without standardized practices can vary, so can the quality of your training. While we are not saying that part 61 training is sub-standard, it is important to know that when in a part 61 program, the student may not benefit from a formal class structure. Part 61 training is conducted at the discretion of the instructor. You only need to take as much ground school as your instructor feels you need, and the training does not need to be done to a standardized curriculum. Flight time requirements have an additional five hours. It is a much more one-on-one experience.

ADF Airways is approved as a Part 141 school, but we do have the capability of instructing under Part 61 rules. We strongly recommend getting your training under a Part 141 program.


If I choose to go Part 61, why should I go with ADF?

Since we are a Part 141 school, you will be training with the same instructors, facilities, aircraft, and educational materials that have been FAA approved for Part 141 use. Also, even though it is not required, we provide a very comprehensive syllabus for our students and instructors to follow that covers every aspect of the flight training requirements put forward by the FAA. Our chief instructor also conducts stage checks for each Part 61 student to ensure that their training is going well.

In short, since Part 61 is overall more flexible than Part 141. In Some cases, it can be less expensive because of the lower requirement for ground schooling.
Whichever you chose, ADF will be there to get you on your way. For more information, please check out the programs section of the website or contact us.



How flexible are your schedules?
Courses begin at your convenience and are arranged around your busy schedule. We are available to instruct you 7 days a week, 363 days a year (closed on Christmas and New Year’s Day)



How long does the training take?
Because every student learns at a different pace, the amount of time it takes to train will vary. As an example, the Private Pilot license requires a minimum of 40-45 hours of flight time to complete, but most students take a little bit longer because there is a lot of information and skill to absorb and develop. In general, full time students spend approximately 6-8 weeks training for their private license, though some students finish training in less time.

As you progress into the Instrument and Commercial levels, training times become more standardized, but again will vary based on the student’s ability to absorb the material and develop the necessary skills to meet the Practical Test Standards.



How many aircraft do you have and what type are they?
We have 15 aircraft and counting. Our current fleet includes brand new Cessna 172SP’s, C-172M’s, C-152′s, a C-182, and a Piper Seminole for multiengine and commercial training. For complete specifications on all of ADF’s aircraft, please visit our aircraft page.



What is the weather like in Miami and Florida in general?
Sometimes, people get the impression that Miami is bad for training because of hurricanes. The truth is that we actually have excellent flying weather all throughout the year. We have sunshine about 300 days out of every year and the temperatures are moderate, with August being the hottest month (90s Fahrenheit, 33 Celsius) and January being our coldest month (60s Fahrenheit, 22 Celsius). You will find that the weather in Florida is among the best for flight training in the US.



Are there any discounts or prepaid bonuses?
We have discount pricing (free flying hours) available for courses paid in advance.



What kind of accommodations can you arrange for international, out-of-state, or other non-local students?
We can arrange accommodation for approximately $300.00 to $ 450.00 a Month. However, you will need to manage your own transpiration. Many of our students carpool and share costs with other students while they’re in training.



How do I obtain a foreign student visa?
If you are interested in obtaining a student visa, please check out the foreign students secion of this website.You can also access the information by clicking here.



What kind of identification will I need?
* Two pieces of Identification, one with a photograph.
* A passport or birth certificate.


How old do I need to be to begin training?
Flight training can be started at any age, but the day you take the exam, you will have to be 17 for the Private Pilot test, 18 for the Commercial Pilot test, and 23 for the Airline Transport Pilot test.